Concern, criticism follow Venezuelan shul attack

CARACAS — International Jewish groups expressed concern after an attack on a Caracas synagogue and blamed Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, left, for creating an atmosphere of hate in his country.

CARACAS — International Jewish groups expressed concern after an attack on a Caracas synagogue and blamed Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, left, for creating an atmosphere of hate in his country.

Up to 15 people attacked the Tiferet Israel Sephardi synagogue late last Friday night, throwing Torah scrolls on the floor and damaging some, according to reports. They also painted epithets such as “death to the Jews” on the synagogue’s walls.

The synagogue’s guard was held at gunpoint and was found on the floor of the building by members on Saturday morning, the Jerusalem Post reported.

It’s not the first such attack on Jewish institutions in the country, which broke off diplomatic relations with Israel over the Gaza military operation, the New York Times reported. In response, Israel expelled the Venezuelan envoy and his embassy staff last week.

“The response of the State of Israel is weak, late and in any case for us it’s an honor,” Venezuelan Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro told the Al-Jazeera news network about the expulsion. “We’re proud that the State of Israel that exists today, led by these criminals, made this decision.”

The same shul was vandalized early last month. The Israeli embassy was also vandalized. A Jewish community centre was raided in 2007 in a search for illegal weapons. None were found.

Chavez’s government decried the attack, the Times reported.

Chavez and local media had been increasingly critical of Israel during the previous week.

“The total disrespect of a Jewish house of worship reflects the escalating climate of hostility towards Jews in Venezuela,” said David Harris, executive director of the  American Jewish Committee.

Harris added: “There are strong indications that what we are witnessing is a state-sponsored campaign of anti-Semitic persecution, spurred by both Venezuela’s alliance with the Iranian regime and the surge of anti-Israel rhetoric during the recent conflict between Israel and Hamas.”

Harris called on the international community to declare its solidarity with Venezuela’s Jewish community.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center also blamed Chavez’s demonization of Israel and the Jewish community as the catalyst for the shul attack and called on world leaders to denounce it.

“This was no mere hate crime from the margins of society, but a reflection of President Chavez’s campaign to demonize Israel and her supporters,” said rabbis Marvin Hier, the centre’s founder and dean, and Abraham Cooper, its associate dean, in a statement. “It is frightening to watch the inevitable consequences of Iran’s chief ally in the Americas promotion of hatred of the Jewish people escalate into an attack, more reminiscent of Nazi Germany in 1938, than a democracy in 2009. The fact that the members of this synagogue stayed away from services this Friday night out of fear that the anti-Israel campaign had generated says it all.”

B’nai B’rith International has asked the U.S. State Department to investigate the attack.

“This has got to stop,” said B’nai B’rith executive vice-president Daniel Mariaschin. “It is unacceptable for a government to incite hatred. Chavez has cultivated an environment where his followers feel comfortable threatening Jews.”

Abraham Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League, urged Chavez to protect his country’s Jewish community. “Sadly, this is not a random event in Venezuela. It is directly related to the atmosphere of anti-Jewish intimidation promoted by President Chavez and his government apparatus,” Foxman said.

Chavez, Foxman said, “must ensure that his government quickly brings the perpetrators to justice.”

 

Author

Support Our Mission: Make a Difference!

The Canadian Jewish News is now a Registered Journalism Organization (RJO) as defined by the Canada Revenue Agency. To help support the valuable work we’re doing, we’re asking for individual monthly donations of at least $10. In exchange, you’ll receive tax receipts, a thank-you gift of our quarterly magazine delivered to your door, and our gratitude for helping continue our mission. If you have any questions about the donating process, please write to [email protected].

Support the Media that Speaks to You

Jewish Canadians deserve more than social media rumours, adversarial action alerts, and reporting with biases that are often undisclosed. The Canadian Jewish News proudly offers independent national coverage on issues that impact our audience each day, as a conduit for conversations that bridge generations. 

It’s an outlet you can count on—but we’re also counting on you.

Please support Jewish journalism that’s creative, innovative, and dedicated to breaking new ground to serve your community, while building on media traditions of the past 65 years. As a Registered Journalism Organization, contributions of any size are eligible for a charitable tax receipt.