Do you love podcasts?
Are you engaged with Canada’s Jewish community?
Do you have strong opinions you like sharing? (If you’re Jewish, we assume you do.)
If you answered yes to any or all of those questions, we invite you to apply to become the new co-host of The CJN’s weekly current affairs podcast, Bonjour Chai. You’ll join co-hosts Avi Finegold and Ilana Zackon in dissecting breaking news that’s relevant to our community every week. The show is equal parts insightful debate, live interviewing and joyful celebration of the Canadian Jewish community.
Bonjour Chai is a top-rated show with thousands of listeners from around the world. Frequently ranked in the Apple’s Top 50 “News and Commentary” podcasts in Canada and the top five per cent of podcasts worldwide, each week features a discussion debate between the hosts, followed by an in-depth interview with a notable figure from the community. Past guests include the longtime manager of The Tragically Hip, Jake Gold; renowned climate activist Tzeporah Berman; First Nations activist Nakuset; and other artists, leaders and journalists from across the country. We’re available on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you get podcasts.
This is a paid opportunity, and you’ll be expected to be available every week (usually Thursday mornings, sometimes Wednesday night) to record for an hour.
What you’ll do:
- Provide engaging, insightful commentary on a weekly basis
- Bring thoughtful Jewish ideas and interpretations of ongoing national or international issues, helping Canadian Jews understand their role in the broader story
- Be available for recording Thursday mornings EST (or occasional Wednesday nights instead—there’s always some flexibility)
- Know how to ask sharp, unique questions to world-class guests
- Help generate story ideas and guests lists for upcoming episodes
- Implicitly understand podcasting best practices (e.g. how to speak into a microphone, reduce background noise, redo takes, etc.)
- Be able to start on Sept. 30, 2021
Our ideal candidate…
- Is some combination of thoughtful, funny and politically engaged
- Has experience in public speaking, punditry or performance
- Is unafraid to have their opinions challenged on air, and challenge others in turn
- Has a quiet space to record each week
- Can banter with the best of ’em
- Is genuinely curious to learn more about issues and people
- Has some kind of social media presence (preferred)
- Will champion the show, and the broader CJN Podcast Network, to their friends and community
- Bonus points if you’re from somewhere outside of Toronto or Montreal (by no means a dealbreaker, but we value geographic diversity and record online)
Interested? Please send your resume, cover letter and an audio or video sample to producer Michael Fraiman: mfraiman [at] thecjn [dot] ca. We’ll get in touch if we’d like to schedule an interview.
Deadline: Sundown on Monday, Sept. 6, 2021—a.k.a. the last day of 5781. We’re ringing in the new year with a new voice. It could be yours!